Sunday, March 2, 2008

Here we go.

I am not a journalist I am a theater maker. Collecting interviews for me is not about collecting the facts (though facts are important) it's about getting an impression, a vibe, a sense of someone's being that informs their beliefs.

I've been thinking a lot about documentary theater. I have done the Vagina Monologues for two years, and recently I just saw a production of Body and Sold, a show by Deborah Lake Fortson about child prostitution in America. And I thought what was missing from both of those pieces were "The Other Sides". I don't mean that in a polarizing kind of right/left up/down black/white mentality. The Other Sides aren't necessarily opposing viewpoints, rather they are variations on the theme.

Eve Ensler interviewed hundreds of women about their vaginas, and founded V-DAY to encourage empowerment of women and end abuse. This is wonderful but to not allow men to be involved in the production? I believe that when men repress women they impede the advancement of the society as a whole. But that's a two way street. If the gender perspective were to switch, we would be equally screwed.

In Body and Sold, the audience hears heartbreaking stories from young women and men who worked as sex slaves. Not a single pimp's story is heard. Initially that makes sense, pimps are the violent ones, the attackers, the "bad guys." But this isn't a play in the classical sense, this is documentary theater, real life translated to the stage, and we all know in real life there is no such thing as a "bad guy." Imagine the childhood of a boy who grows up to become a pimp. What are his strongest memories? Who was his mother?

And so, it's The Other Sides that need to be heard, which is why I am SO excited to interview Sarah Chambers, former president of the NYU Young Republicans Club. Her beliefs and values are probably so different than mine. But we are both humans, who have hair growing out of the tops of our heads, toenails that need to be clipped, and lungs that expand when we breathe in. This is what I hope to remind myself before each interview I do, for if I remind myself that I am talking to another human being, maybe I can elucidate something that I would miss if I just went in with the thought that I am going to talk to a Republican...

I guess Republicans are people too?

Theater is about the human connection first and foremost. When you see a play, you watch human interaction. And humans have hundreds of sides to examine. And I guess that is my focus in this documentary theater project.

No comments: