Saturday, March 15, 2008

Shannon and the Young Republicans Club

I showed up at 6:00 on Thursday at room 909 in Kimmel to interview people fom the Young Rebulicans club. I walked in the room and was like "is this the Young Republican's Club?" to the fifty faces that stared at me anagonistically.
"Yes, what do you want?"
"Umm." I stammered, realizing that I probably should have gotten the name of the person Ashley talked to, "someone... someone said I could come in today and do interviews for a documentary theater project."
"We don't know anything about that, wait until Hamilton gets back." The young man behind the table turned back to the group.
"Ok, yeah." I said, "But in the mean time does anyone else want to be interviewed?" And this one kid, David, raised his hand. Thank God.

2.25 of my interviews (one was really short) I got this way, it was great because people who volunteered had alot to say. Unfortunatly most of the information they gave were talking points, facts and stances of the Republican party. But I did hit on an interesting idea, which was that for these kids the Young Republicans Club is a support group on a liberal campus can almost be equated with a GBLT club at a southern State school

...

So yeah yay! Interviews!
Today I'm going up to Cooper Union to try to find more. I'm not looking forward to transcribing all this, but it will be worth it. I hope everyone else is doing as well.

-Shannon

3 comments:

Lauren said...

That's a really interesting parallel Shannon
GLBT in the South vs. Young Republican on a Liberal Campus.

Never thought about it that way.

introublewiththeking said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

This is a great point. I've read articles in Washington Square News and even when I was at Pace about the "lives of conservative students in NYC".

This is a bit off topic but somewhat connects...

I'm working on a project that involves interviewing evangelical Christian leaders and members of congregations about two topics - American patriotism and the rapture (they are actually separate projects ... one is a paper for a class and the other one is a solo performance). Anyway, it's fascinating to talk to evangelicals (which, one would assume would be VERY politically and socially conservative) in NYC vs. some parts of the tri-state area and those from the midwest and south. Things vary immensly according to region. I remember listening to some of the college republicans at NYU speaking on a topic related to LGBT issues and there wasn't any sense of having problems with, or being disgusted with the community (as one would probably assume) whereas, I definitely don't know if I could say that for campuses outside of large metropolitan areas (and I'm sure even here in NY thats a broad generalization).

Anyway, it's an interesting point to bring up and I'll try to dig through the WSN archives and see if I can find that article...

Glad your interview went well. How was Left Forum?